Wow – already fishing opener weekend! Last year was a rare year as Mother’s Day did not fall on fishing opener but this year it does once again. Maybe it is really a gift having all the men out on the lake leaving the women alone??? Some women hate it some love it but it is what it is.
About 500,000 anglers will head out on the lakes this weekend to try and catch the ultimate fish. This is really nicknamed the Walleye opener but it is the first day where walleye, northern pike, and sauger are legally fished for this year.
A big issue this year will be the spreading of invasive species. Minnesota is really cracking down on boater and will be issuing more tickets than normal to people not following the rules. Starting July 1, fines will be doubled – a serious matter! We need to save our lakes and if people aren’t following the rules our lakes will slowly be ruined.
I thought I would share a few interesting facts about fishing in Minnesota:
– 1.4 million licensed anglers
– 2 million people fish
– Men account for 69 percent of resident anglers. Woman account for 31 percent
– Minnesota ranks fourth among states with the highest number of anglers – the top three states are Florida, Texas and California. Wisconsin is fifth
– Fishing creates Minnesota 43,812 jobs
– Most resident anglers – 755,000 of them in fact – are from the seven-county metropolitan area. The remaining 388,000 resident anglers live outside the Twin Cities
– Most sought-after fish species (in order): walleye, bluegill, northern pike, crappie, bass
– The average Minnesota angler spends 20 days fishing each year, with 86 percent of resident anglers never fishing anywhere else but Minnesota
With all that said, have a safe and successful fishing opener and a Happy Mother’s Day!